What are the best beds for puppies?
Getting a new puppy can be an exciting moment, but before you pick it up you need to make sure you have all the necessary puppy products for it so you're ready for every eventuality.
In this blog post we look at what the best dog beds for puppies are and explore the different options available.
1. The Puppy Crate Mat
Many start their puppies off in a crate at night, to ensure they won't run lose when no one is watching. We quite like the playpen style of crates which are much bigger than the standard crate and can be folded up easily for when you don't need it.
If you're going to do the same, then this type of mat will suit - something thin and easily washable. This one is only £10.87 and can be chucked in the washing machine - perfect whilst puppy training!
What are the benefits of a puppy crate mat?
- Machine washable
- Can be moved from crate, to car, to anywhere with ease!
- Fleece-lined adding that layer of warmth
- 4 different sizes to choose depending on your dogs breed and crate size
- Not expensive
2. The Hard-Shelled Dog Bed
As their adult teeth are growing through, puppies will chew pretty much anything - particularly if you're not watching them closely! This includes their beds. So, you may prefer to opt for a hard-shelled dog bed such as this cosy looking Sharples soft and snug one at £41.30.
We like this type of product as the hard shell is durable to withstand the puppies razor-sharp teeth. But, it has a soft fleece lining that is machine washable so easy to clean and replace if needs be.
Plus points of the hard-shelled dog bed:
- Withstand puppies chewing
- Easy to clean and machine washable
- Possible to tumble dry the fabric layer on a low heat
- Wipe down the shell with ease
- Replace the fabric outer layer if needed
- A bed that will last through your dogs adult life too
3. The Protective High-Sided Puppy Bed
Puppies need to made to feel secure, so often a high sided variety of bed will do the trick for you. These 'Loving Care Pet Products' have been rated highly on Amazon and at just £31.99 for the small bed we think they're a great deal.
What are its benefits?
- Various colours and sizes available depending on your dogs breed and your personal preferences
- Machine washable
- Super plush = nice and comfy for your new puppy and warm!
- Urine and water resistant
- Non-skid bottom
- Removable pillow mattress
4. The Waterproof Dog Bed
One we stock on PetJam is the waterproof Hunt & Wilson dog bed - both in memory foam and microfibre interiors. A memory foam dog bed would be our preference acting as a harder base, so the puppy may be less likely to chew it, more durable and will protect your puppies joints.
Memory foam is known to be great for those with allergies, along with supporting your dogs joints through shaping to their bodies as they rest.
Pro's of the Hunt & Wilson memory foam bed:
- Great for dog owners with allergies
- Memory foam to protect joints and super comfy
- Removable waterproof cover that's easy to machine wash
- Easy to wipe clean in-between washes
- Highly durable
- Moulds to your puppies body shape for added comfort
See more of the benefits of this Hunt & Wilson memory foam waterproof dog bed here.
So what would PetJam's choice of puppy bed be?
"We'd opt for the waterproof memory foam bed by Hunt & Wilson, being a fantastic first bed for your puppy that is likely to make ti right the way through to their adulthood. The quality of this memory foam is of a high standard so the beds don't get out of shape quickly and are highly durable. We also love the removable easily washable covers to ensure your dog will have a nice clean bed. In this Autumn/Winter season it also has added benefits of it being waterproof - perfect for all those muddy paws!"
Best of luck - we know you'll find the perfect bed for your new puppy in no time. What we'd recommend is to make sure you do your research properly and understand what type of product will work best for you and your family.